Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What does Ballmer look for in Job candidates...

I was reading Ballmer's interview in nytimes and came across the following pearls of CEO tribal knowledge.



Snip 1:

And I try to figure out sort of a combination of I.Q. and passion. I just ask somebody to tell me what they’ve done that they are really proud of and tell me about it. And if it’s something you are proud of, you should be able to answer any question I can come up with, at least at a level that would satisfy my interest. I ought to be able to see your passion. It might be quiet passion; it might be bubbly passion. But I should be able to sense that you are one of those people who just sort of throws themselves into things.

Snip 2:

My dad worked for Ford for 30 years. When I was a kid, he’d say: “If you’re going to do a job, do a job. If you’re not going to do a job, don’t do a job.” What he meant was, if you really want to accomplish anything, you have to be committed, motivated, tenacious and smart about what you do. That’s really just the essence of the American work ethic, but it’s one of the most important things I ever learned.

1 comment:

Aravind Ramarathinam said...

Here is the link to Ballmer's interview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/business/17corner.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&th&emc=th